Before I get into the main point of this topic, let me start off by saying, I don't seem to operate the way a "normal" guy operates; I've never seen a "pretty" girl in passing and wanted to chat her up, get her number, and go on a date. Every time I've found a girl I've wanted to date, we'd meet due to whatever circumstances, get to know each other and develop a friendship (though I always keep a certain emotional distance, so as to avoid that whole "friend zone" thing), and then I start to feel something and try to take things from there.

The problem is, I just never have any luck with girls. When I like a girl, I try to get to know her, see what's important to her, find common interests with her, joke around with and playfully tease her, develop banter, etc. But it's never "good enough", I never come off as an "attractive" prospect to any girl. I've had girls tell me I'm funny and whatnot, and many have conveyed to me that they think/ thought I was a pretty cool person. But evidently, I'm just not worth dating.

I'm 24, now, and the more time goes by and the more I keep "failing" in this area, the harder it gets. I've never even been on a date, let alone had a girlfriend. I just hate how hard it apparently is for me to find someone that values and enjoys my companionship as much as I do theirs, and has a mutual "attraction" with me.

I'm sort of extra bummed because over the last 5-6 months, I had found a pretty cool girl (which is a thought I haven't had in a very long time), got to know her a bit, hit it off really well with her, developed feelings for her, asked her out, got rejected, tried to be friends with her but the feelings came back, things got a bit messy, I tried to smooth things over, now we're *kinda* friends but not really, and today, I found out that she's recently started dating someone. It's been such a roller coaster ride, these last few months, with more lows than highs. I liked her a lot, and she's the first girl I've ever actually connected with for "real" reasons. Prior to her, I had temporarily blocked out the whole idea of dating and whatnot from my head, because I was feeling so bad about my inability to charm a lady, but after I took a chance on her, all these old thoughts have flooded back in my mind, and I'm suddenly finding myself feeling very lonely, unwanted, and "unlovable".